Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Why?

Why am I now keeping a blog? Several reasons. First, I need something else to distract me during the day. Second, I have always loved to write. It is an outlet for me, but I don't have much opportunity to do it. Third, my Facebook page is getting filled up with all of these stories, and I'd like to have them somewhere else.

Why would I refer to my mother in such a way? My blog title does not refer to my own mother. It is what I predict my own sweet children will be saying about me one day if their antics continue until they are no loner living under my roof (the thought of which makes me very sad). I've been told I should write a book about my adventures; I've considered it some, and I decided this morning that the title of my blog would be what I would call the (imaginary) book.

Why am I not using my kids' names? I teach computer skills to elementary school students. When I speak about Internet safety, I stress to them that they should remember two very important things when posting anything online: (1) little bits of information add up to a full picture of who you are, meaning someone can piece together who you are and where you are over a period of time if you're not careful; (2) assume anything you post online will be there forever, and that anyone can see it (do I really want my daughter's future employer to know she went through a phase of examining her poop so she could tell me what creature or object it resembled?).

I know there will be times when I will, despite my best efforts, give out little pieces of information. I know those of you actually know me (which will probably be anyone who takes the time to read this) might, on occasion, comment, and use my name or a child's name. I'm just going to do as much as possible to minimize the identifiable information I post on here.

So my challenge is this: write something entertaining, but as anonymous as possible. I promise all future blogs will be much more interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere! Visit me at
    http://everfaith.wordpress.com

    Blessings -

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you started a blog. I have one as well, www.jodiandsimon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete